Maersk, the world's largest shipping company, is transforming into an industrial digital giant that enables global trade with its land, sea and port assets. We are the digital and software development organization that builds products in the areas of predictive science (forecasting, customer and market analytics), optimization and IoT. This position offers the opportunity to take innovative ideas and turn them into our future.
Through Digital Transformation we identify, define and implement the mix of process, technology and culture that brings business, development and operation teams closer, allowing Maersk to deliver products faster, improve responsiveness and enhance quality for our consumers.
• We are a very diverse team with colleagues having many different backgrounds and from many different cultures
• We are operating in a working environment of a small software company combined with the benefits of a large enterprise
• We offer freedom to influence and shape the setup and the processes we use
• We offer possibilities to attend conferences, workshops and meetups
At Maersk, we focus on the individual’s development and the right candidate will have broad possibilities to further develop competencies in an environment characterized by change and continuous progress
Find out more about Maersk Digital at www.maerskdigital.io
The Head of Ontology is responsible for centralizing a physical implementation of data models across Maersk. This is the trusted, single source-of-truth across all Maersk brands that consists of relatable business objects that represent the Commercial and Operations functions of Maersk alongside our customers supply chains.
This is a critical role that comes at a key time. Having a reusable Data Ontology lets us move faster and compound on previous work, while eliminating technical debt of multiple implementations or incorrect interpretations. It lowers the barrier-to-entry to using complex data for business users while also enabling developers to easily access and understand a deeply rich data asset.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Creating the framework for centralizing Ontology development and allowing for federated contributions.
• Form an opinionated take on global data models and coordinate with a diverse group of stakeholders to form consensus across various different data requirements.
• Lead a team of data engineers to build transformations, tooling, and infrastructure required to support the Data Ontology development and utilization.
• Responsible for maintaining a high and consistent quality bar.
• Prioritize development of various datasets and features, coordinating with the Data Lake team on ingestion and Master Data Management team on content.
• Develop excellent documentation to promote reuse and ensure understanding for users of varying levels of technical sophistication.
• Design and build rich user interfaces atop the Data Ontology.
• Serve as a voice for data, promoting data-driven decision making and supporting other teams on a larger Digital transformation.
• Be a proactive leader, unblocking obstacles and creating a vision for a central data layer.
Reporting to the Head of Data Platform, you will serve as the Head of Ontology across Maersk Technology.
• Deep experience with complex data systems and good instincts around data modeling and usage.
• Leadership in coordination of federated teams and converging agendas and technology through proactive management.
• Ability to write data transformations and expertise in SQL or Spark APIs in Scala, Python, or Java.
• Strong and proactive communications, both written and spoken. Ability to clearly persist ideas to share and scale.
• 5+ year project management experience, leading complex initiatives across a variety of stakeholders and coordinating solutions.
• Exposure to different data platform solutions, both industry and open source.
• Enjoys pursuit of value-based outcomes and making difficult prioritization decisions.
• Experience with the shipping and logistics industry and related data.
• Previous leadership of teams of 5+ software engineers.